Bicycle riders are subject to the same traffic laws and have the same rights and responsibilities as drivers of other motor vehicles.
Bicyclists’ Rights and Responsibilities
They also have a responsibility to familiarize themselves with bike safety measures and are required to follow specific laws and regulations for bicyclists, such as having proper helmets or being visible to other drivers at night. Although the best way to handle a bike accident is to prevent it in the first place, collisions do occur, often resulting in serious injuries or death.
Causes of Bicycle Accidents
There are often cases where bicycle accidents occur not because of the fault of the bicyclist, but of other drivers.
- Bicyclists need to familiarize themselves with bike safety measures, but cars and trucks often fail to see them or fail to yield the right of way even when the bicyclist follows the rules.
- Many accidents with bicycle involve drunk drivers or impaired drivers.
- Speeding, Lack of traffic control at intersections
- Many drivers fail to yield at stop signs or simply do not pay attention while driving.
- Although there are some roads with bicyclist lanes, some drivers nevertheless do not stay out of these lanes and crash into the bicyclist.
- Sudden door openings pose a great danger to bicyclists.
- City streets are often very crowded and present a risk for bicyclists.
- Defective roadways, cracked pavement and potholes are also road hazards.
- Poor lighting, inadequate or poorly maintained street signs may also contribute to a collision.
- Heavy pedestrian traffic poses a risk for bicycle accidents involving collisions with pedestrians or collisions with vehicles in an effort to avoid a collision with a pedestrian
- Defective equipment, including helmets, tires, and brakes or inadequate repairs may also contribute to a bicycle accident.
Serious Injuries Result from Bicycle Accidents
Injuries can include:
- Head, neck and back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Loss of limbs, fingers, and toes
- Mental Health Related Injuries
Competent Counsel Can Make All the Difference in Bicycle Accidents
In the event that an accident was unavoidable, or occurred due to negligence of the other party, a bicyclist needs to hire legal counsel familiar with bicycle laws. At LA Injury Group, Inc., our attorneys possess the legal skill and diligence to handle any type of bicycle accident claim. Where appropriate a products liability case may be filed against a manufacturer of a defective bicycle, helmet, or other equipment. In cases involving death, a wrongful death case may be filed.
Time is of the essence to investigate the scene of the accident and ensure that critical evidence is not lost. A lawyer can assist you not only in recovering damages like medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering compensation, but also ensure that you receive adequate medical care and treatment.
If you are injured in a serious bicycle accident or involved in an accident involving a bicycle, call us Toll FREE 1-888-500-1006 to speak with our personal injury legal experts at LA Injury Group, Inc. or Contact US by filling out our form online.